First of all there are no ingredients that you must have to make this plan work (check out my Cream of Chicken Soup recipe, no special ingredients required), but these are the ones I love, and use most often.
Must have Pure stevia:
This is a must for me. For my sippers I use this daily. I get this directly from THM because I love the quality and strength. One ounce goes a VERY long way. I bought the 4oz bag about 3 months ago, and I am still not even half through it.
Must have Baking Blend:
Just to start I would probably recommend to buy straight from THM. This is because you only have to purchase 1 thing instead of more than half a dozen ingredients, and in the short term it is cheaper. You can add ingredients to your pantry slowly and eventually make your own if you would like. I personally prefer to make this myself. It actually only saves me $1-2 per lb (+ shipping), but I like the convenience of being able to throw a bag together whenever I need it. Also I can change it slightly if I want. Runamok Mama’s baking blend is the recipe I use all the time. I have heard quite a few people have had success with Nili’s baking blend as well.
Products I purchase for my baking blend:
- Oat Fiber: I was excited to find this 5lb bag on Amazon for a great price. However, I do not believe it is certified gluten free, THM brand is.
- Coconut flour: I now get this from the bulk bins at Winco. I think this is the best price I have found. Previously I bought this at Costco.
- Golden Flax seed meal: This is an awesome deal on amazon for 8 lbs. That should last you a long time.
- Collagen: I get THM collagen. As far as I’ve seen the best price is from the THM store. I usually make a large purchase to make up for shipping prices. If you want to buy elsewhere you can look for a good deal on amazon or use Ebates to get 5% cash back on a site like Puritan’s Pride.
- Almond flour: You can get this in the bulk bins at Winco (most grocery stores), but I prefer a extra fine grind. This is my favorite brand so far. I get it at Costco where it is less than $20 for 3 lbs.
- Glucomannan: I have Now brand currently, but I may purchase THM in the future depending on prices. I purchased it on sale for $10 from Puritan’s Pride. Remember to use Ebates if you would like to save more. Make sure when you buy this that it is in powder form and not pills!
Optional Ingredients for baking blend:
- Whey protein powder: For unflavored I get THM. For vanilla, I use vanilla for desserts, I currently have Gold Standard from Costco. It was less than $50 for 6 lbs but not really on plan. I will purchase NOW brand when I run out. They have one that is Isolate (not concentrate) and unsweetened. You need to make sure to check the label for ingredients before purchasing any whey.
- Psyllium flakes: This is what I get. I have seen it at Natural Grocers, but I believe it was over $10 there.
Must have Gentle Sweet:
First let me get this out of the way, this contains Xylitol which is poisonous to dogs. You only need this if you want to bake desserts. This is my favorite sweetener because I love my baked goods. Stevia alone does not bake well. I love THM’s, but I use so much that I had to start making my own version. Mine is not super fing so I still use theirs when confectioners is required. I could put it in a coffee grinder to make it work, but it’s just easier to use theirs in this instance. This is the recipe I usually use. You can simply do 1 cup of Xylitol, 1 cup of Erythritol and 1 tsp Stevia, or 1 ½ cup Xylitol, 1 cup Erythritol, 1 tsp stevia. It is really just a matter of your taste preferences.
- Xylitol: I purchased this 2.5lb bag today at Natural Grocers on sale for less than $12 not sure exact price. This deal on Amazon is great if you want to stock up!
- Erythritol: I bought this from Natural Grocers for about this price (not on sale).
- Stevia: I usually use THM, but I have used Better Stevia like the Gentle Sweet recipe calls for. If I use THM I do not need to use as much, maybe even half as much.
If at all possible get a budget going for special ingredients. I like to save up and make a big order at once from TrimHealthyMama.com so that I only have to pay shipping once. (I probably make an order from them 2-4 times a year.) Here is my TrimHealthyMama.com Shopping list. Also, definitely price check! I get a lot from Amazon, and highly recommend getting a Prime membership if you plan to do the same. This is my Amazon shopping list.
New to THM?
Stop by my post Starting THM Tips